Adrift in the modern world....

The bold enterprize of one woman trying to brighten her day by turning the clock back to the Golden Age of style...when hats, handbags and gloves were de rigueur each and every day.



well guess what? it's Friday again...

Friday, February 18, 2011

How did that happen? Where did the last two weeks go? I have come to the conclusion that the older you get the faster time passes by. Do you realise that apparently already 1/7th of the year has already gone by? Exactly...where does the time that flies go? Answers on a postcard, please.

Not much to report, I've been so lazy that I haven't been shopping despite the urgent need for new trews for work, and the annoying this is that I know where they are, but I just can't be arsed to drive there and get the. My excuses last weekend were a) it's Saturday and there'll be just toooo much traffic and parking will be a nightmare... to... b) we'll go tomorrow (Sunday) instead.... c) (Sunday) oooh, it's raining. Don't really fancy flapping about in the rain and getting all damp and THEN having to try on clothes. So as a result I didn't go anywhere, not that I'm complaining as I lounged about and read books and watched films....go me!

As all this news about library closures is in the news, there was a huge push at our local library to get new members, so I rounded up friends who I know love to read but will order from Amazon (cos it's easier) rather than walk to the library. So off we all toootled and those that weren't members joined and then they oooh'd and aaah'd over the cd's and dvd's and then went missing for hours in the book section. Hours later I managed to round them up, using that well worn bribe of a G&T should they vacate the building anytime soon (it was late Friday evening) and all trooped out with maximum allocations of books and I think happily converted to using one of our most under-rated local resources.

Red Legs in Soho has blogged about libraries and their values in her blog, and she puts it far far better than I ever could, so go give it a read.



Some random books I'm reading at the moment are:

CJ Sansom's Mathhew Shardlake series, the new book in the series is Heartstone. If you haven't read any of these, they are worth a look. Shardlake is a lawyer in the time of Henry VIII and it's not all "Chewdors" it's nasty, dangerous with enemies round every corner. Well worth a read if you like well written historically accurate novels.

On a slightly lighter note, I do adore watching the rugby: all those big muscled men getting all sweaty....phew....and the king of them all (well in my humble opinion) is Sebastien Chabal. Long hair; tall; built in a rather grand manner...what can a girl say????

a few snaps carrying on the Hnry VIII theme, from a trip to London with the marvellous Mad Lep!



Armour for Henry VIII - big man....big horse!
The Tower of London....obviously!
Henry's armour when he was a LOT smaller!
worried looking lion that caused much hilarity!
well that's all folks till next time
Polly
xxx

0 comments: